Today's Crunch Issue:
Deforestation-Effect of deforestation:
Forests are very beautiful and attractive sight of nature.It is Gift of God(ALLAH) for the people of this earth.
|beautiful scenes of nature|
But I am afraid of the facts that these forests would be no more due to continuous deforestation all across the world.And effects of deforestation are very terrifying.Deforestation is the removal of a forest or stand of trees.The above scene could be very different due to removal of forests all across the world.
|deforestation causing many problems|
|deforestation worst effects|
|deforestation effects nature badly|
- Globalization is often viewed as another root cause of deforestation.
- Corruption of government institutions.
- Inequitable distribution of wealth and power.
- Population growth.
According to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) secretariat, the overwhelming direct cause of deforestation is agriculture. Subsistence farming is responsible for 48% of deforestation; commercial agriculture is responsible for 32% of deforestation; logging is responsible for 14% of deforestation and fuel wood removals make up 5% of deforestation.
Effects of deforestation:
Effects of Deforestation causes many environmental problems:
- Deforestation causes atmospheric problems such as global warming and is often cited as one of the major causes of the enhanced greenhouse effect. Tropical deforestation is responsible for approximately 20% of world greenhouse gas emissions.
- Hydrological are also caused by deforestation.The water cycle is also affected by deforestation. Trees extract groundwater through their roots and release it into the atmosphere. When part of a forest is removed, the trees no longer evaporate away this water, resulting in a much drier climate. Deforestation reduces the content of water in the soil and groundwater as well as atmospheric moisture. The dry soil leads to lower water intake for the trees to extract. Deforestation reduces soil cohesion, so that erosion, flooding and landslides ensue.
Undisturbed forests have a very low rate of soil loss, approximately 2 metric tons per square kilometer (6 short tons per square mile).Deforestation generally increases rates of soil erosion, by increasing the amount of runoff and reducing the protection of the soil from tree litter.
Deforestation effect on Biodiversity:
Deforestation on a human scale results in declines in biodiversity.and on a natural global scale is known to cause the extinction of many species. The removal or destruction of areas of forest cover has resulted in a degraded environment with reduced biodiversity. Forests support biodiversity, providing habitat for wildlife; moreover, forests foster medicinal conservation.With forest biotopes being irreplaceable source of new drugs (such as taxol), deforestation can destroy genetic variations (such as crop resistance) irretrievably
Since the tropical rainforests are the most diverse ecosystems on Earth and about 80% of the world's known biodiversity could be found in tropical rainforests, removal or destruction of significant areas of forest cover has resulted in a degraded environment with reduced biodiversity.It has been estimated that we are losing 137 plant, animal and insect species every single day due to rainforest deforestation, which equates to 50,000 species a year.
Damage to forests and other aspects of nature could halve living standards for the world's poor and reduce global GDP by about 7% by 2050, a report concluded at the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) meeting in Bonn. Historically, utilization of forest products, including timber and fuel wood, has played a key role in human societies, comparable to the roles of water and cultivable land. Today, developed countries continue to utilize timber for building houses, and wood pulp for paper. In developing countries almost three billion people rely on wood for heating and cooking.
In order to control deforestation following steps should be taken to reduce deforestation all across the world and preserve our nature.Otherwise it will have a very bad effect on human,animals and plants life.
- Monitoring Deforestation
- Forest management
- Sustainable practices
- Forest plantations
A very popular phrase is that Nature can not be change.But today men is trying to change nature(deforestation,ozone depletion,global warming e.t.c)are men made.And we are paying the brunt of nature in the form of increasing natural disasters.If necessary steps are not taken to reduce men's activities.
there will be greater floods,earthquakes and other natural disasters in the future.